You are not connected. Please login or register

Homemade cleaners

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Homemade cleaners on Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:53 am

GreenFireflyGirl

Omega Admin
Omega Admin
I'm only going to post the ones I've used and loved, with my reviews. Please post yours, and what ones we need to try.

Best Laundry Soap EVER!!!

• 1 box Borax
  • 1 box Washing Soda
  • 1 box Oxyclean
  • 2 bars soap (zote or naptha, or fels natural)
  • 2 boxes Baking Soda
  • 1-2 bottles Purex Crystals

The soap is not just any old soap, it's in the laundry section and it's really hard. You grate it with a cheese grater. (don't use you food processor, trust me, it's too hard and you might break it) The small freezer boxes of baking soda is the size for the second kind of soda, washing soda is a little different, though people say you can swap them, I followed the recipe exactly. I actually only made half the recipe though, and did this in January or February, and haven't even used half of it yet, so this recipe may well last you a year, depending on the size of your family and how often you wash. The Purex Crystals are ONLY there for scent, leave them out if you are sensitive. They were the most expensive part of this, and the reason I only made a half batch, but I love it, I love the way it smells, and it really cleans your clothes.

You use a quarter cup for a full load. Actually, it may even be a little less... the Purex Crystals bottle is really nice, so I fill it with the detergent and pour into the cap to the line.. so, the same amount of detergent Purex wants you to throw in of the scent stuff. I think I'm using a hundredth of the amount they suggest to scent it and it's plenty! So, at least grab a free sample from them if you've never tried it and add to your own wash, or even throw in your sock drawer for a sachet.. very strong flavour.

If you prefer liquid, the recipe is 1 cup borax, 1 cup washing soda and 1 bar soap. (that's really the basic dry recipe too, but I would not consider losing the oxyclean, I love that stuff). grate the soap and mix with 8cups of hot water, mix on the stove, add borax and washing soda and mix on the stove. pour evenly into washing containers and add water to fill making 2 gallons. (not sure any more how much it said to use) Because it's the same basic recipe as the first, I'm sure it works just as good, but like I said, I love the addition of the oxyclean, and the crystals for scent. The extra baking soda costs practically nothing, so adding them was fine, but it might be just as fine without!

http://www.dogsandchats.com

2 Re: Homemade cleaners on Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:07 pm

GreenFireflyGirl

Omega Admin
Omega Admin
Homemade Fabric Softener

• 1 1/2 Cups white vinegar
  • 1 Cup Hair Conditioner. (cheap stuff like Suave, whatever scent you like)
  • 6 Cups Water

I wasn't in love with this one. It smells good, but just really didn't add much to the clothes smell wise, and I preferred the scent from the detergent. I tend to forget to put it in anyways, and someone said just to spritz vinegar on the clothes before you put them in the dryer so that's all I do now. Another recipe I didn't try is:

1/4 cup Purex Crystals, 1 Cup water, 1 cup baking soda, 6 cups vinegar. mix together. Use 1/4 cup mixed with water to make a full cup to a load. Making it with the purex crystals in it will definitely up the scent, but if you compare the two recipes, you can see that really, you don't need the conditioner to soften, and vinegar alone will do the job.

The reason vinegar alone works is the same reason that soapnuts don't need fabric softener, it's the ph of it with the natural fibers in the clothing, it just softens it. (why it also works on hair) I don't know how well vinegar alone just sprayed on clothes, or a quarter cup added to the wash at the end works on synthetics, but I haven't noticed any static since I started using this. Will have to wait for winter for the real test.

Homemade Stain Remover (Shout)

• 2/3 Cups Dawn
  • 2/3 Cups Ammonia
  • 6 T baking soda
  • 2 Cups Warm Water

Mix them together, duh! The original recipe said to put this in a spray bottle, and make sure to shake before you use it. It clogged up my spray bottle, but I had success using it in an old ketchup bottle with a small spout, and just pour it on the stain.

It doesn't work really perfectly for the accidents on the carpet though... I'll post that recipe when I find it!

http://www.dogsandchats.com

3 Re: Homemade cleaners on Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:19 pm

GreenFireflyGirl

Omega Admin
Omega Admin
spot held for my other recipes when I find them... Going to make a crunchy chat forum to put all of our crunchy lifestyle topics in.. then we can do food and healthy stuff too.

4 Re: Homemade cleaners on Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:46 pm

tash7

Alpha Hall of Fame
Alpha Hall of Fame
Quick question...do you have a top load or front load washing machine?

I have a front load one and am incredibly hesitant about using anything that doesn't have the HE symbol on the package.

5 Re: Homemade cleaners on Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:54 pm

GreenFireflyGirl

Omega Admin
Omega Admin
Top load, but people have used it for front load and for HE, but if you have an expensive washer, you'll have to research it first. People who do have one will always add vinegar to the rinse, I never paid attention to that part because I didn't need to know it, but as long as you keep cleaning it, you can use any soap you want apparently. I would seriously look into it myself though if I had a HE washer, why save money on detergent only to pay for expensive repairs??

There is also a homemade washer cleaning recipe around, I'm pretty sure it uses citric acid rather than vinegar, but again, you'll have to look into it, and even then, it's always buyer beware with these things.

One interesting thing with regard to the amount of detegent I use compared to the amount that you use of a regular brand is that they are filled with a lot of filler. Silica is often used, so when you hear that something like 90% of your tide is just glass... It really shows you what you're paying for. My recipe is just the stuff you need and no filler, why pay for it just to wash it down the drain?

6 Re: Homemade cleaners on Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:00 pm

GreenFireflyGirl

Omega Admin
Omega Admin
oops, and I'm using too much detergent apparently. I know it's less than a quarter cup, but in looking for the answer to your question, I found I'm only supposed to be using a tablespoon. Old habits die hard, I thought I was already using very little. In any case, the recipe creates very little suds, so it should be safe.... Especially if you don't go overboard like I was. (need to put a scoop in there..) another page said to use only 2 teaspoons for a front load HE.

HE runs into trouble with suds, so as long as you clean it regularly it should be fine, but make sure there's no lumps in the detergent that might get stuck instead of dissolve. I've never had a problem even with using close to double what I should.

7 Re: Homemade cleaners on Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:30 pm

tash7

Alpha Hall of Fame
Alpha Hall of Fame
Thanks for the added info! I will look into it. It's not a super expensive front loader, but I can't afford repairs atm (nor do I want to break it, I love how efficient it is!).

Currently we rotate through a couple different brands of the super concentrated friendlier laundry detergents...the ones that are good for at least 60 loads (I dorked out and kept track once and we got more loads than that!). I'm pretty picky about scent (the less the better!) and since we've been using this stuff for years and years, I find regular laundry detergent extremely smelly now!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum