Human (not dog) related detox

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 8]

26 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:54 pm

xox0_katie_0xox

Mod
Mod
Im scared what ive read about depo now.. geez guys lol

But the thing is, im better on this then i was on like 4 different types of pills.. its strange.. when i get my menstrual time, when i was on the pills i would get so sick i would be sweating all over, throwing up, shaking.. everything. which is eventually why i ended up pregnant with aaden. I have only had 2 shots of the depo and im feeling so much better, everything is normal, monthly is normal, all that..

another problem is i cant swallow pills, its just not possible for my body my gag reflex is too bad, i couldn't even swallow the pregnancy morning sickness pills which are like smaller then the end of an eraser.. so i really dont know what other option other then the patch but.. i need to be on something monthly, like the pills or the needle (well ok the needle isnt monthly) or i will get sick like i was on the other pills, its horrible.

on the other note, i have never done a detox, dont know if i would ever be able too.. there is so much stuff i just cant eat, i pretty much just eat junk food, people call me itailian because all i eat is pasta with cream or cheese sauce, pizza, chicken and junk food.. the only veggies i like are potatoes and occasionally carrots, but like pretty much all fruits. not sure what im ever going to do to eat healthy scratchhead

27 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:23 am

Scout6

Mod
Mod
Katie, my med doc is suggesting a certain IUD that releases progestin in slow doses over the course of five years. It does not have the bone loss and other negatives that Depo can. AND you can recover fertility right away as with Depo it can be up to two years and in my age range maybe never.

I was like you too. It made me sooooooooo well, I was able to go back to school and start this new career but slowly it stopped working and then I started to have negative effects from it and THEN I found out all the dark secrets about the drug and went cold turkey on it.

So now I'm hanging in the balance with no solution and just waiting for the bottom to fall out. :shock: It's a bit nerve wracking just waiting.

Anyway, to all the poor men who are shadowing this thread :lol: You now have soooo much info to make you more compassionate partners, brothers and fathers MORE than you probably every wanted :lol:

28 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:13 am

GreenFireflyGirl

Omega Admin
Omega Admin
Katie is still young enough that a short course on Depo won't likely cause irreversible bone loss. It is now being touted as a shorter term birth control and the IUDs are making a comeback. I don't recommend the patch(skin sensitivities), or the ring(vaginal fungal infections, gross) but the continuous use birth control pills are a good option for those interested more in controlling menstruation than just birth control. There's a whole school of thought on it being more natural than having a withdrawal bleed every month (on the pill, it's not a period that you get when you stop for seven days) and more protective health wise. (We really should either be pregnant or breastfeeding and rendered infertile at these times for most of our adult lives if you look at us from purely a species point of view, so it IS more natural to artificially induce the same state.)

Colon cleanses are a great money grabber. In fact, your body doesn't need to "cleanse" itself, but it IS good to support liver health. It's the one organ that you do need to use, it detoxifies for you. On that note, a diet of any kind, if followed up with healthy eating afterwards and not returning to previous bad habits, is always a good thing. There was recently a study released, saw it on Canada AM a few weeks ago, noting that the things that people regularly showed during elimination following a detox diet were found to be nothing more than the herbs, and undigestible fruit pieces that they ingested during the detox. Don't believe the stories of people pooping out mercury during a detox. It just doesn't happen. Losing a few pounds, rebalancing your electrolytes, and quitting smoking WILL make you feel better, so whatever diet you choose, detox or otherwise, it WILL help. (placebos have their place too...)

29 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:44 am

kysmom

Certified Dog Trainer
Certified Dog Trainer
What a great thread! And, yeah, I do feel sorry for any guys that are following it, or trying to LOL!
I have endometriosis and in my early 30s it hit me like a ton of bricks, tried all kinds of things to get my body to be "normal" (just what is normal?) and my doc recommended Depo ... well two injections later I was a freaking wreak, not only was I moody, my cycle was so screwed up it was crazy, I also gained 35 pounds in 2 months ... I managed to lose about 20 of that but still have another 15-20 to go before I'll be happy (I don't own a scale, just have to look in the mirror LOL!) These cold Canadian winters sure don't help keep the weight off!
I have that IUD that someone mentioned, it's been over a year, and it's the best thing that I've ever done. It hurt like a sonuvab***h to put in, but after 2 months, everything is PERFECT ... (except the weight I gained didn't miraculously go away ... what's up with that?)
Di ... not sure if this is something that would interest you, or if you already are ... when you are introducing your foods back into to your system, have you thought of becoming vegetarian? You mention that you don't have kids, so it is something that is easier to do. I'm single, and live alone (well, the zoo doesn't really qualify as humans!) and I make all my food from scratch. Every weekend or so I buy all my fruits / veggies, etc and make up two to three big batches of food and freeze it. My sister has a pasta maker, and once a month I go to her place and we make all our own pasta. I also have a breadmaker and I make my own homemade bread.
My dog's on raw, my parrots eat everything I eat b/c there's no chemicals, additives, etc in it (OK, I do buy organic, and I'm sure it's not 100% organic, but there's only so much I can control!). The only bad eater in my house is my cat! He's still on canned / kibble b/c for the life of me I cannot switch him over to raw ... such a hard case him!
Congrats on the not smoking! As a smoker for a very long time, and one who still enjoys smoking, I do know how hard it is to quit, and you've done really well! I used to be a substance abuse counsellor, and one of the steps I taught was the Stages of Change model ([Only admins are allowed to see this link]) If you're having some "hard times" check out this site ... it focuses mainly on drug / alcohol addiction, and some of the examples might be a bit extreme, but you'll get the idea at least!)

Marion

[Only admins are allowed to see this link]

30 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:34 am

Sharyl

Alpha Hall of Fame
Alpha Hall of Fame
GFG I've been waiting for you to post on this topic - mostly to see if you would put something in on the pill because I've been on it for so long. I have a girlfriend that has the IUD and loves it as well. I'm thinking about it as my next option, but like the 'flexibility' of the pill (and being able to skip the week off if I'm away, etc).
In regards to the 'dieting' has anyone caught any of the '100 mile challenge' on the Food network? Mission, BC people have been challenged to live only on food that comes from within 100 miles of Mission. Now, their circumstances are much different than the rest of us having basically year round access to fruits & veggies - but its an interesting way to 'clean' out your diet. I really liked the idea and have been doing some research to try it out in the summer here... I figured that would be the easiest. But it would make for a long summer because I don't believe there is a brewery or winery in Calgary!

31 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:14 pm

di

Pattison CET.
Pattison CET.
Wow - I love that this thread has blossomed into some really interesting discussions! :D

Thanks Marion! I haven't really considered being a vegetarian, but I think coming off this I will definitely increase the fruits and vegetables, and stick to chicken and fish for my protein sources. Glad summer is coming as there are a couple of farmers' markets near my house, so I think I will be able to stock up on most of my food from there. I think that the 6 days so far of not eating has really allowed me to think about how I want my life to be...and what role food plays in it. I actually am enjoying the break of not thinking about food so I can look at it more objectively. Of course, the first 2 days I wanted to kill someone for a burger.... :mrgreen: But thankfully that's passed!

And I'm like Marion - my dogs are on a healthy diet, yet I wasn't. So what the heck was I doing? scratchhead

T - I konw that many doctors don't believe in detoxing, but many natural practitioners do, and after trying some of the natural methods, I honestly do believe in that path for prevention. Of course, the medical field definitely has it's place, but it's not traditionally for preventative therapies, usually only curing what's wrong. beathammer

http://www.holmesonhounds.com

32 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:36 pm

di

Pattison CET.
Pattison CET.
Oh - and Lee. No, I'm not celiac...not that severe. Not even sure it's an allergy to gluten, but more of an intolerance.

It gives me heartburn for sure (I went for a couple of months with heartburn almost every day until I stopped eating it), and I get achy in my joints if I eat something with wheat (or beer!) - and I notice it almost immediately!

33 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:28 pm

TheDogHouse

Canine Good Citizen
Canine Good Citizen
Yaye for Detox! The best thing I've ever done is start seeing a naturopathic doctor. I did the detox and I decided to just stick to the diet they reccomended. Of course Easter and a birthday screwed the streak up, but it's easy to get back into.
The kit I go with is "Herbal Detox" by Wildrose.
The diet is basically avoiding wheat, flour, sugar and milk products.
Smoking on the other hand, I applaud anyone who has quit.
The best thing I've done is cut back by half.

http://www.itsallaboutfun.ca

34 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:41 pm

di

Pattison CET.
Pattison CET.
TheDogHouse wrote:
The diet is basically avoiding wheat, flour, sugar and milk products.

That's very similar to the detox I did with a naturopath last year, and what I would love to continue once I'm done this. Do you find it hard to stick to (special occasions aside! :mrgreen: )?

35 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:48 pm

di

Pattison CET.
Pattison CET.
Ha - now to amaze you all with my steel-like willpower.....

My partner has decided to COOK A PIZZA tonight. Do you know what that smells like when you haven't eaten for 6 days, and you can actually now smell because you quit smoking?? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Yowza. It's taking everything I have to not grab a slice!

And on top of that, he smokes!

Sorry - I'll be fine. Just my detox rant! Good days and bad days!! crazyloco

36 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:51 pm

Laurie

Mod
Mod
Lucky for you, the only dishes you'll have to do is a water glass. Hubby can take care of the rest, the cad. And walk the dogs. Oh ya, and didn't he get the "no smoking in the house anymore" memo? :D

37 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:25 pm

di

Pattison CET.
Pattison CET.
Ha - I sent the memo, apparently he didn't read it! :evil:

38 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:22 pm

Scout6

Mod
Mod
I totally gained about 40 lbs on Depo. Since the last shot in Dec I have lost probably 5 or so. A health nurse asked me a few shots ago if I was hungry all of the time and I was like OMG you mean I don't just have really bad eating habits. I could eat NON stop.

A few weeks ago I was looking in the cupboards and fridge for something to eat and suddenly I realized, I'm not hungry. I did it for days with the same realization that I was not hungry but had become accustomed to cruising for food because of the Depo effects. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I decided to try the homeopath, on Friday is the appointment, to hear what alternatives are. I've heard natural progesterone versus synthetic progestin is better for the body, but I'm telling you I'll likely loose all will power to follow a natural route if it takes too long and I go down for the count like I used to. I don't know if the IUD is covered by my health coverage and it's @$150. EEP!

In Britain they are considering in one area of giving all girls ages 11 or 12 and up Depo because the teen pregnancy rate is so out of control. Can you imagine!!!!! I hate to think of its effects on a growing girls' body.

39 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:28 am

TheDogHouse

Canine Good Citizen
Canine Good Citizen
That's just mean! Pizza?! Thankfully, my other half was totally on board to cleanse.
I really miss bread, I love bread and cheese.
It's really amazing, this "natural high" you get from eating healthy.
This week I have been feeling like a sac of..., after the whole easter feaster. Sluggish, grumpy, tired and an all around sick feeling.
Our main staple is salad. In two months, I don't think I've eaten this much salad in my entire life! Fish, rice, veggies and almonds. Whoo hoo!

http://www.itsallaboutfun.ca

40 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:01 am

GreenFireflyGirl

Omega Admin
Omega Admin
Di, I considered becoming a Naturopath until I saw how flaky some of their "treatments" are, namely using IgG and IgM to determine allergies to food, when they really only show that you have in the past ingested the food at some point, and how often. So if you drink milk every day, you will have the highest level for milk proteins, but the naturopath would then say you are allergic to it. An allergist will tell you that the ONLY way to prove an allergy is to do an ORAL challenge. Even the skin tests that they do, only show them which ones are LIKELY subjects for oral challenges, and should be avoided just in case. My sister went to an naturopath that had her hold wheat flour in one hand and spelt flour in the other, the same quantities. Told her she was allergic to the one that her hand dropped first. That's a pretty common test from what I've been told, but most naturopaths don't do it anymore because it makes them look foolish. You think?

I had a co-worker have me hold an acrilyc block with a rainbow embedded in it once. She told me to breathe, and how to breathe while I was holding it. She then told me that all my troubles were behind me and that I was psychically healed. I haven't had a problem since, but is it because of holding the block? I hadn't had a problem for two years before either, but that didn't stop her from healing me anyway.

I think the power of your mind to do many things, even miraculous things, is possible. Whether you use prayer, visualization, or Witchcraft, the use of the mind to manifest into reality your desires is profound. It is the basis for why placebos, prayer circles, and magic CAN work. (though not often) With regard to taking a remedy, the body has an amazing ability to heal itself, already. So following a "prescribed detox" is really only supporting the body to heal itself, and balance itself. If the organs are working as they should, the body attempts to return to homeostasis. And while doctors aren't against people pursuing this state of health by any means, they do frown against charlatans touting thier miracle cures as the quickest path to health. If eating a healthy diet, not smoking, moderate drinking, exercise and getting enough sleep can get you to this state, why promote a month long course of kelp drinks and smoothies as the best way to get there? Especially since you can possibly damage your body, (heart and thyroid most common) with the herbs and supplements you take to "fix" your body?

I would SO become a vegetarian, if I didn't like the taste of rare meat so much. I would even become a raw foodie, but like some processed foods. In interests of my own health, I limit my meat intake to twice a week, and try to cut out most processed foods. eat unbleached sugars and flours, and fit in as many veggies as I can. But I do eat unhealthy foods even still.

With regard to the pill, while still "unnatural" in that synthetic hormones are used to make it, it is meant to mimic our hormones when we are pregnant and breastfeeding, and thus infertile. In our natural state from a species perspective, we are pregnant for nine months, breastfeed for 12 months (or longer, but often fertility returns as breastfeeding is still diminished as the infant finds other sources of food) so for almost two years, our bodies are infertile. Then another pregnancy and so on. Studies have shown that pregnancy and breastfeeding are supportive against uterine and ovarian cancers, and now have found that continous use pills provide the same protection. (though stopping to have a period is really a convention of man, thinking that the women of the fifties wouldn't take the pill if they didn't still get their period as decreed by god, already feeling sinful for using birth control, that's a whole other story.) I myself only stop taking the pill 4 times a year. I rarely get my "period" when I do. I wonder if the extra estrogen that I urinate is worse for the planet than the hundreds of pads, tampons and their manufacture that I DON'T throw into landfill is. The newest pill we have actually markets itself as more environmentally friendly, and I asked the drup rep if it would include the less tampon/pad thing in it's marketing, and they have a plan to do that in the next few years. Off topic, but interesting....

41 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:10 am

di

Pattison CET.
Pattison CET.
Wow - thank goodness my naturopath is much more down to earth! When we figured out the wheat intolerance (or allergy perhaps), it was because I took it out of my diet, and then saw the effects of adding it back. I've read that is the most reliable test, that even some of the allergist tests may not find an allergy. Or at least something that reacts to your body.

42 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:53 am

Sharyl

Alpha Hall of Fame
Alpha Hall of Fame
There's some great info in this post! Di - way to go - I'm assuming you're still smoke & food free? lol
T - I actually read something similar to your post regarding birth control in a Reader's Digest magazine probably over 10 years ago. It basically stated that having 12 periods a year is both unhealthy & unnatural. Are you on Seasonale or just skip the 'week off'? I'm thinking at my next appt to switch to Seasonale and don't know of anyone that's started it yet.

43 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:14 am

wen

Alpha Hall of Fame
Alpha Hall of Fame
Thank god I'm fixed! I couldn't take any birth control. I didnt' handle pills well though it was nice to be regular. and for some reason IUD's wouldn't stay put. I was told my muscles just pushed them out. In the 80's and 90's there weren't many options and all a guy had to do was look at me and I was pregnant. Unfortunately I had a few miscarriages. Condoms weren't as big then as they are now. So after my last miscarriage I said that's it I have 2 that's enough for me and i had the clips but in.
I think about the naturopath stuff a lot. I have Fibromyalgia and take a lot of medication just to manage it. We have a naturopath in our support group, some of our ladies even smoke marijuana for it.
I do try to eat well as I notice that makes a huge difference in my day. I rarely eat meat. Most meat has so much preservatives in them anyway. I try to buy Organic as much as possible.
Just doing that has made a difference.
Balance is key doing things in moderation and being as healthy as one can.

wen

44 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:46 am

Laurie

Mod
Mod
wen wrote: Condoms weren't as big then as they are now. wen
:shocked2:

Who the heck have you been dating lately? Are you finished with them? Can I have some phone numbers?

Last edited by Laurie on Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

45 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:18 pm

Sharyl

Alpha Hall of Fame
Alpha Hall of Fame
LOL Laurie!

Wen - try going to Mexico! The climate sure helps my boss' fibromyalgia :)

46 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:49 pm

wen

Alpha Hall of Fame
Alpha Hall of Fame
Ha ha Laurie...
Well, I might be getting divorced soon

I know, winters are hell for me ...a nice warm dry climate would be perfect but I have family here that needs me.

47 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:34 pm

LeeLee

Alpha Admin
Alpha Admin
I got a chuckle out of that one too LOL! I'd like to meet those men who are buying them... LOL!

Di, you've probably already seen these commercials, but I dedicate them to you lol! The first one's got to be my all-time favorite since it's so true lol... :lol: Wink

48 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:47 pm

wen

Alpha Hall of Fame
Alpha Hall of Fame
They are great commercials...but I wondered...last night a new one came on with a nicorette vapor where it looks like a cigarette and you inhale it. Now if a non smoker started "smoking" with one of those, especially a kid. That could also start an addiction couldn't it??

I can see them at school right now..."smoking" or inhaling rather on the school grounds...
hmmm
not a good idea to me..I understand how hard it is to quit. I smoked 2 packs a day and quit cold turkey. but some of this aid stuff could backfire.
wen

49 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:53 pm

JeanJean

Alpha Hall of Fame
Alpha Hall of Fame
Apparently those vapor cigarettes are not going to be allowed into Canada. The anti-smoking groups got together and deemed them some sort of bad idea so the news said something about them not being allowed over the border. I don't understand their attitude. They want the second hand smoke to stop so no one is effected, these do that. They don't care how many people are addictied to nicotine gums (and there are thousands and thousands) but have an issue with this method of administering it. Meanwhile it would give those who need the hand/mouth action replaced to quit a viable way to at least break the 'smoke' habit. It makes no sense to me and I have to chalk it up to just being unreasonable. Since when should they have the right to dictate what others should do with something like that? If quitting was easy, everyone would have quit and if this thing is safe for the user why not let them use it? It's not the nicotine that is the problem (or they would ban the gums and patches) it's the smoke and those things don't produce smoke and might help some people. I sure would try them because I hate gum of any sort so the gum doesn't work for me and I react to the patch and I bet I am not alone in that.

As for fibro and the wheat discussion, I have some experience here. I think I mentioned earlier that a doctor had me get off all sugars (mostly because of insulin issues I have). That included all starches and grains because by nature (like our dogs) we were not intended to eat them and insulin in particular is effected by them. Meanwhile in general our bodies can't use them and the proof is that we can't eat them unless they are processed in some way first and that they are simply roughage (which means our body just expells them.. this group also includes corn and any of it's byproducts). Anyway for years I was on a lot of pain killers for my back and joints and that included the muscle pains that go along with it. I was up to 10 tylenol plus pills a day plus others just to knock it down a bit but was never free of the pain totally. I was told I had arthitis and a disk problem so just assumed it was that causing it.

As will happen, I was really good about not eating the things I shouldn't for about a few months before I slipped. I don't even remember what I ate but it was some special occassion where just for a treat I had a piece of cake or something. Well that lead to one piece of whole wheat bread which lead to another, one piece of fruit didn't seem like a big deal because I was doing great and that stuff is supposed to be healthy so I wasn't all that concerned. Well I hit my doctor's office becasue I was in such pain. I can only describe it as feeling like there were shards of glass in my muscles and joints and it hurt just to move. He just looked at me and said 'you cheated what did you expect?'. Well I didn't expect actual pain but he explained that that was the sugars/starches reacting in my body and I realized I had not needed any pain killers in the previous weeks. It was eye opening.

It had been so long since I had been pain free I guess I just got used to it and then the pain went away so gradually I never really realized how good I was feeling until the pain was back again. It came back so suddenly that I was in agony from not being used to it any more. Now I know (from testing it) if I eat sugars of any kind or starches (and I don't care how healthy or whole grain or whatever they are supposed to be) I am going to experience very real pain the next day. It never fails. The more I eat or the more processed it is, the worse the pains. I have heard of a lot of people with fibro diagnosis get the same results so I would look to food as one big factor.

I also now know I am like an alcoholic when it comes to those things. If I have just one bit I crave more and it takes me 3 days of avoiding them to get over the cravings. I actually go through withdrawal symptoms. They are all my favourite foods too, the comfort foods so it's really hard to stay on track. I'm off track right now and it means I may not be able to walk properly or do much without feeling the pain but that stuff is so addicting it's hard to get off again.

To me, the problem is we have become so accepting of things that cause us problems because they tell us they are good for us, no big deal, that we don't make the link. The medical community and whoever it is who puts together the food guides are brain washed and pushed by political powers with no regard to health at all but I won't get into that as it makes me nuts.

What I have found usefull is to eliminate all suspected foods (be it sugars, grains, dairy or whatever) for at least 3 days. If you know the glucemic index, you stick with foods that rank 50 and under. Then add one back in and monitor how your feel physically and mentally from right after eating through the next 24 hours or more. If you find you have no energy, experience aches and pains, get sleepy, grumpy, can't think clearly or whatever, your body is telling you something. It's so indvidual that it can really vary person to person but when you discover what you body doesn't like it makes a huge difference.

That was one big reason I had no issues going raw with my dog. I already knew what some things do for me and it wasn't even a leap to realize dogs can do better without those things nature never intended them to eat too. We see the difference in them and we can see the same differences in ourselves.

50 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:50 pm

wen

Alpha Hall of Fame
Alpha Hall of Fame
We definitely are what we eat!!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum