You are not connected. Please login or register

Human (not dog) related detox

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 8 of 8]

176 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Sun May 10, 2009 6:13 pm

Laurie

Mod
Mod
Di- Do you get sick eating grain-fed animals too? You mentioned you eat hamburger, so I was wondering if you noticed any ill -effects.

177 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Sun May 10, 2009 7:32 pm

di

Pattison CET.
Pattison CET.
I'm just starting to explore what I react to, now that my system is "clean". I didn't react to chicken the other night so I think that must be ok. But there's an organic butcher near me, and for the amount of meat that we eat, I may treat us and get some good meat from there!

http://www.holmesonhounds.com

178 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Fri May 22, 2009 9:13 am

kysmom

Certified Dog Trainer
Certified Dog Trainer
Di ... how's it going for you? You sound like you're doing great ...
We were all discussing a whole bunch of "female" issues here, and I've just finished my 5.5 weeks (monday is the last day) of eating only fresh fruits, veggies and proteins (all for my endometriosis) ... here's my doctor's and my findings ...

ALL I was allowed to eat for 6 weeks was this: fruits, veggies and protein (NO dairy, caffeine, sugar, carbs, soy or anything processed) (So you don't have to scroll all the way back ... my doctor and I were trying to find a reason for all my freaking cysts and fibroids that were still growing ... especially since I have an IUD which was supposed to STOP all of that!) And, the fruits and veggies were limited to no sugar / carbs (no carrots, peas, corn, potatoes, etc)

GOOD NEWS in so many ways!!!

1 - i've lost 20 pounds LOL ... that was a bonus ... now if I can lose the last 10 I'll be ecstatic (I gained the weight b/c of Depo - trying to treat the endo!)
2 - we have discovered the source of my problem (which will be scientifically backed up on Monday with my ultrasound to see if the fibroids / cysts have shrunk)

DRUM ROLL please ... SOY and any and all processed SOY products

Rationalization # 1: since I've removed all that stuff from my diet ... I've not had any cramping, (which is 99% of the time b/c of the cysts/fibroids moving, growing, etc). My last ultrasound showed 5 of the suckers about the size of a toonie ... last friday, my doc did a quick "internal" check and guess what ... he couldn't feel them!!!! YEAH, YIPPEEE!!!
Rationalization # 2: SOY has lots and lots of estrogen ... so, me being vegetarian, was eating soy about 2-3 times a day ... add all that estrogen to my already screwed up system and I was simply creating a breeding ground for my little friends ... go figure, I try to eat healthy, and look what I get!

My doc was saying that soy's not bad for everyone (in moderation of course), but for me (and someone else that might be suffering from endo and other hormonal imbalances), soy can be quite dangerous ...
The other thing I've had to do which surprised everyone that knows me: start eating fish. I had some options for protein (egg whites, and more egg whites, and even more egg whites). Ok, I like eggs, but 12-16 egg whites a day? that's a bit much ... since my body won't accept the soy protein I was extremely limited in how I was going to get healthy "raw - as in unprocessed" protein in my system ... he gave me options:

egg whites, fish, chicken, beef, etc. protein shakes, etc.

I bit the bullet and bought some fish three weeks ago ... haven't had any issues, and have to admit, I like it! (Fish was the hardest thing for me to give up when I became vegetarian 15 years ago!) I will NOT eat chicken, beef, etc, the texture just freaks me out!

My family was shocked when I showed up at my sister's for supper and had brought a hunk of salmon ... my dad was like ... um, where's Abby LOL ... No, it's for me ... after I explained everything to them, they were all relieved that I was being smart about it, and not saying that "NOPE, I've been vegetarian for 15 years, I'd rather be that and unhealthy, than eat fish."

So, Monday is my ultrasound for the final test and then I WANT PASTA and an extra large double double from Tim's LOL
Just kidding! I've been doing more and more research in the last couple of weeks, and I'm meeting a nutrionist today to go over my new and improved "diet" ... Since I've gone 6 weeks with no caffeine, I won't be buying any more coffee unless it's decaf (i know there's still caffeine in it, but not as much as when I drank 8-10 a day)

I still want to have cookies and brownies (thanks for the recipe!!) but I want it to be more natural / healthy ...

I have found a store in Ottawa (Beechwood Avenue) that sells organic food - whole wheat flour, cane sugar, fresh whole wheat pasta, bread, etc .. so I will be buying alot of my stuff there and making everything myself ... (except the bread, that's just a pain in the ass! LOL).

SO, for all you women out there that have had some "hormonal" issues ... and if you're eating soy ... there's my experience!

THE OTHER GREAT NEWS: I FEEL LIKE A MILLION BUCKS!!

Last edited by abbysmom on Fri May 22, 2009 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos)

179 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Fri May 22, 2009 9:26 am

Laurie

Mod
Mod
Wow. Way to go for sticking it out Marion. What a relief you found out the problem and the remedy.

Congrats on the weight loss too. Double bonus.

Thanks for posting about this as it was very timely for me again.

I've been seriously backsliding with my eating lately and feeling the results. (Skipping meals, drinking more coffee, starving late at night and rationalizing a pizza. Very bad old habits.) Eating clean and regularly helped get and keep the weight off and felt great.

You and Di are great role models!

180 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Fri May 22, 2009 9:42 am

kysmom

Certified Dog Trainer
Certified Dog Trainer
I have to admit it wasn't THAT hard for me. Food is not a huge "factor" in my life, I don't have "comfort foods" if you know what I mean ... I like to eat certain things, sure, but when I'm stressed / worried, whatever, food is the LAST thing I can think of ... caffeine and cigarettes are on the top of the list ... and that's NOT good!!!

Keep it up laurie, it's amazing how fast our bodies react to both the good and the bad!!!

[Only admins are allowed to see this link]

181 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Fri May 22, 2009 3:18 pm

di

Pattison CET.
Pattison CET.
Marion - that's awesome!! To be honest, I don't eat soy (or very rarely) because my nutritionist warned me against it, especially because I have ovarian cysts. The only soy she condones is fermented soy - tempeh and miso. But still not a lot.

So now you know how I felt on my detox! And when you try coffee again, you'll know why you feel so good giving it up! I still haven't smoked - it's been 7 weeks, and I feel great.

I do have to say though that I've had episodes of heartburn, cankers in my mouth, zits - so something I'm eating isn't agreeing with me, and I can't figure out what. I have kept off gluten and dairy, but I may not be careful enough about it. Or, there's other things causing to give me a reaction. So this is what I will be bringing up with the naturopath when I see her.

I am so in agreement with my nutritionist who believes that food can help so many ailments that we have - and prevent so many as well. Part of the reason I switched the dogs' diets as well!

182 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Fri May 22, 2009 3:22 pm

JeanJean

Alpha Hall of Fame
Alpha Hall of Fame
I'm glad you found out what is up. It would be nice if people were aware of soy/estrogen and just what is what when it comes to raw/fermented/other in how it's processed. I've become totally facinated by learning how much of what we eat is so directly related to what our bodies are doing. Now I see so many things we seem to go through as a result of what goes in our mouths that I get frustrated with doctors who just don't get it. You are lucky you found one who is clued in.

To be honest I am totally tired of what foods our society considers 'healthy' when in fact it's not at all and as you've discovered, it's often something quite different than what we've been lead to believe. Please don't be fooled by organic either. If it's organic or not, if it's sugar (as seen by your body) you will need to avoid it and that will include that honey and whole wheat you mentioned too. It's the same food without chemicals but that doesn't mean still not being really careful about which ones our body likes best.

What you might want to do is look up the glycemic index (and watch because they vary with the most accurate coming from the head researchers in Toronto and Australia) and really take a look at foods that rate higher than 50 or 60. Those are the ones that might cause you grief when it comes to what your body does. You may have to go through a lot of trial and error to find your body's level, but you will find it if you pay attention. For instance I know for my body I can't tolerate any sugars and am better if I stick with foods that rank under 40 on the scale even if other people are fine with going higher. I actually just sort of bristle when someone thinks it's better for me to eat a whole wheat something than a greasy hamburger patty because they know not what they say when it comes to my body. I have a whole host of problems from buying into that thinking for way too long.

Like you, I used to be a vegitarian and really have never been a fan of the texture of meats of any type (never mind thinking about where they come from) but I had to revert to concentrating on proteins just because of the problems the other way of eating gave me. Fish is one good source but you also have to watch (as one doctor told me) concentrating on it can cause problems because of the mercury content (not an issue for me as I can't take the smell of fish so still can't eat it). Anyway I have learned to eat a lot of beef and other meats or I know I will have trouble in other ways and actually have learned to enjoy it. I find I could handle it better ground when I started having to eat it as it loses that texture and isn't so obviously a body part which is what turned me off to begin with. I also do protein drinks but only the ones from whey. I avoid all soy based ones as I have learned soy isn't good for me (I have too much estrogen to begin with so don't need any more and sure don't need unregulated amounts).

When I was going through it I had to basically go through a completely different way of thinking and had to resolve that it's as nature intended, just as it is with us feeding our dogs raw, our bodies require things that other foods just can't provide and the mindset starts to change to seeing things as fuel. Sometimes that is easier than other times and sometimes it takes a health concern to act as a reminder to recheck things and cut out the fooling around (which I have been known to do and each and every time I pay for it with my health in some way).

Just wondering why you can only have egg whites. With what I have learned the yolks are not to be feared (the original tests were not accurate) and if you are not eating starch/sugar with them there is no chance of anything clogging your arteries anyway.

Caffeine is a known cause of cysts so you will need to work on that one. I got off it a long time ago and found weening down was pretty easy. So just adding more and more decaf to the caf until it was only decaf. I think it took about 2 weeks to get off it completely and to find a decaf that didn't taste like soap (Tim Hortons decaf is pretty good). Now when I drink it I can get away with a cup or so but I do feel the effects for at least 12 hours after so it didn't take long to lose a lot of appeal. As it happens I am trying to get a lot of work done around here so I can sell my house so I actually added a cup of caffeine at the start of my day lately just to give me the get up and go I need to get it all done. I find it's fine line though between having a bit more nervous energy and completely losing my patience if I go too far with it. It's hard to notice that kind of thing when you are used to it but it really is drug like when you aren't used to it.

Meanwhile you must be so thrilled to finally find the answer and especially when it is one you can control on your own. It's realy great when you can find a doctor who really knows where to start looking for causes rather than just pulling out the script and sending you off for pills or saying 'live with it'.

183 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Fri May 22, 2009 3:27 pm

JeanJean

Alpha Hall of Fame
Alpha Hall of Fame
di wrote:...
I do have to say though that I've had episodes of heartburn, cankers in my mouth, zits - so something I'm eating isn't agreeing with me, and I can't figure out what. I have kept off gluten and dairy, but I may not be careful enough about it. Or, there's other things causing to give me a reaction. So this is what I will be bringing up with the naturopath when I see her.

It could be some of that is part of the detox. Sometimes our bodies will start expelling toxins we have in our body (built up over time) through our skin and maybe that is where some of those zits are coming from. It may be a 'give it time' type of thing. The cankers may be a vitamin/mineral deficiency you need to find out about though.

The nice part is coming as far as you have come, it will be easier doing the fine tuning now to figure out the things you need/don't need to make it all right and get you to 100%.

184 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Fri May 22, 2009 3:42 pm

kysmom

Certified Dog Trainer
Certified Dog Trainer
Jeanjean ... what a great post ... thank you for the info!!! My brain is just swimming with all this "what is healthy and what isn't"!!! Good lord, I wanna be back in time ... the early 1900s was so much easier!

the egg whites ... my doc said I could eat yolks (up to 6 a week) but no more b/c of cholesterol (I have high bad cholesterol ... and low good cholesterol!) ... but to eat all the dang egg whites I wanted - BORING ... LOL ... yeah, I do know about the mercury, so I only eat tuna once a week, salmon once a week, the rest is little white fishies that have no feelings (AND don't ANYONE tell me they do ... it was hard enough to cave in, I DO NOT need ANY reminders!!!!) ...

Di - you've done the one thing I still don't want to ... quit smoking! - YOU ROCK for that ...

I've been breaking out more in zits too, very frustrating, I'm thinking DETOX big time! My friend the other day said to me, you need to drink more water, you're breaking out ... I almost peed my pants ... I'm drinking 3 EVER LOVING LITRES a day ... how much more am I supposed to drink?? LOL

185 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Fri May 22, 2009 5:09 pm

di

Pattison CET.
Pattison CET.
I did go through the breaking out while I did the detox, and then my skin was amazing! But since I've added back things, the breakouts have started again, which makes me think that I must be reacting to certain things!

186 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Fri May 22, 2009 5:28 pm

JeanJean

Alpha Hall of Fame
Alpha Hall of Fame
abbysmom wrote:...
the egg whites ... my doc said I could eat yolks (up to 6 a week) but no more b/c of cholesterol (I have high bad cholesterol ... and low good cholesterol!) ... but to eat all the dang egg whites I wanted - BORING ... LOL ... yeah, ...

Well let's get out the rewind/erase button because you are being caught up in old thinking. I know, been there, done that. When I was 14 my dad had a massive heart attack (as had all his brothers) and that was the time I went vegitarian (also being old enough to refuse to eat the meat I hated all my life anyway was easier as my parents saw it as eliminating that fat/cholesterol danger) and my family became low fat heart smart crazy. I was a firm believer for decades. I could tell you the fat and calorie content of any food you could think of. I knew poly/mono/saturated fats etc. and so on. I also have never, and I mean never eaten an egg, yolk or white. My mom said I spit them up as a baby and I couldn't be in the room if my brother (who loved to torment me with them by opening his mouth while eating them) or anyone else had them or I would literally be sick. They still make me gag although I can now be in the same room as them without getting green (I'm in my 50's and they still do it to me so that really does mean I do not overeat the things). By the time I was in my mid 30's the cholesterol issue was raising it's ugly head and there I was never eating eggs or meat or fat or butter or cream or any of the stuff they tell us not to eat. If I ate dairy it was low or no fat. If I drank milk it was skim (which I love still but can't have any more because it's too full of sugar... bummer). I can happily eat potato or pasta or whatever will no oil, butter or anything fat on it, no problem, never bothered me a bit. I can eat fruit all day and be happy as pie. Call me the poster child for low fat because I was right into it.

The doctors said I was lying of course and the bad cholesterol proved it or else I just had a weird body I guess. My dad ended up dying of heart disease even after eating perfectly (according to the heart smart crap) for 20 years after his first attack. My mom also had cholesterol problems eating that way. My body flipped from normal to hypolycemic and I have had huge wieght gains no one could explain. I ate the way they told me, I ate 'healthy' by the usual standards and just got worse and worse. Dieticians scratched their heads and thought I must be a sleep eater or something because there was nothing in what I told them I was eating that could cause the problems I was having.

About 8 years ago I started with a new doctor as my other one was threatening me with pills for the cholesterol it had gotten so bad and I saw the family tree rearing it's ugly head. What does he tell me? I don't eat enough fat. I eat too much starch, sugar, fruit. He drank a cup of whipping cream in front of me and I thought I was going to lose my lunch watching him. Anyway, he told me to go on Atkins, very low carb, high fat, lots of meat and I thought he was nuts (and how was I going to eat all that meat when I don't like it?). But he challenged me in a way I couldn't refuse. Have my blood tests, eat that way, and have the same blood tests 90 days later. I thought okay you crazy nut, I'm going down hill anyway so what's to lose. My family thought I had lost it completely. Everyone knows Atkins is bad, fat is bad yadda yadda yadda but I did it anyway just to prove the doctor wrong. Well the blood tests 90 days later were all normal for the first time in years. My cholesterol completely reversed itself, my insulin was in check, my joint and back pain were gone and I was losing weight for a change. It took me a lot of hard thinking to wrap my head around it after being so the other way on foods for so long.

So I started learning more and more and reading more and more and sure enough, we've all been duped in a big way.

Flash forward to last year when I had slipped off eating properly for way too long and started with a different doctor (the other one was driving me nuts on a few counts but he was right about the eating). This one discovers high blood pressure, high bad cholesterol, and the hypoglycemia has flipped to pre-diabetes. He gives me the usual blather about diet and I told him no chance. I knew very well what caused it all and it was eating whole wheat, sugars, fruit again and not enough protein and fats (see my tastes still go the other way even if I do know better). He thinks I'm nuts and sends me to a diabetes specialist who tells me the same crap. They think I have a bad attitude, I tell them to retest me in 60 days and I went back to eating the way I know is right for me now. I tested my blood sugar levels with a monitor with various foods and sure enough the ones recommended by that stupid diabetic diet shot my blood sugars up.

Anyway, 60 days later they both got the test results and the specialist says no point in me coming to him because I am not diabetic, must have been a wrong result the first time. He wouldn't even consider it was what I was eating that changed things. The GP just shock his head as my cholesterol and blood pressure were normal again. He also just wouldn't believe I was eating butter, drinking whipping cream (with my protein drink it's heaven, like a milkshake) and was having nothing to do with any roots, grains, fruits (except berries). He finally gave me the 'whatever works' look when he realized I was not about to eat any other way.

If you hit some of the low carb sites, there are other stories similar in nature so I know for sure it's not just me. I am now convinced the low fat diet basically killed my dad and countless others. One of my cousins is a medical researcher here and she tells me they know full well the recommended diets are killers but this ship is just too big to turn around, the politics is unbelievable, and so most doctors are not encouraged to speak against them yet they themselves will not eat that way. They know full well changing people's food will stop a number of conditions but dare not say anything in a big way except the few rebels in the bunch and luckily again, pressure is coming as the public learns and insists on change but it's slow. The biggest issue being our whole medical system, the schools, the payments, the sponsorship, everything is supported by treating illness not health. Nobody makes enough money when people are healthy.

I have heard that in China the doctors and medical people are paid based on health and as a result they are very into prevention. Apparently the doctors are assigned their patients by area. As long as they are well, the doctors get paid. If they are sick the doctors do not receive payment for that person until they are well again. As a result they do home visits to see how people are living, eating, exercising and they promote lots of physical activity done on a community basis (we've seen them here even exercising in groups outside as it promotes doing health and they are used to doing it as a community). If their water is bad, it's the medical community that pressures to have it fixed or they lose income. That really makes sense on a few ways to me. You can bet if people are seen to be eating badly for their health they would hear about it from their doctors who have every interest in keeping them well. Funny we also look to their diet to see why their people just don't seem to get the same illnesses we suffer... coincidence?

Anyway, those eggs will not, I repeat will not, clog your arteries or increase your bad cholesterol as long as you don't eat them with sugars (like toast, potato, fruit). Have them with bacon or cheese and you are fine, no kidding. It's not possible and it's never been proven by any reliable study at all that they clog arteries. As yet they haven't even done a proper study because they keep doing it including the very things that do clog the arteries (sugars and that has been proven by studies) being eaten with the eggs (or red meats or other fats for that matter). It's just junk science when actual blood tests prove otherwise. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself but once you see it happen, no contest.

It's seeing those blood tests and realizing you feel better that starts to really get rid of old/common thinking. It has taken me a long time and I still sometimes slip even when I know better, but I will never again believe what they are telling us about alleged 'healthy' eating without understanding and believing they have some real reliable proof.

If you want to start learning about foods and our bodies, one good place to start is with a book called The Schwarzbein Principal by Dr. Diana Schwarzbein. She's an endo who discovered a lot while treating diabetics, but her theories hold for cholesterol, weight gain, and other issues as well. Other books also explain it but she has a way of making it easy to understand so anything you read after makes more sense. It's nothing totally amazing. It's realizing food should be whole and as close to natural as possible. There is a balance we have been not using because of 'pyramid' thinking that causes problems and she explains the problems with that. Then read books like the ones on the glycemic index, the mediterranean diets, the caveman diets, low carb diets and you start to see all the common threads and can see what things work/don't work with your body. What you will see is what we have been told to eat in N. America is wrong, just plain wrong, only benefits the food processors, and doesn't fall into line with the healthy nations of the world at all or our health on an historic level. Yet we continue even though none of the big killer problems were problems when we ate as nature intended vs to support what our land will produce and what the big companies are pushing.

As you can tell, I can go on and on. I am very pissed at the food guides and our medical community and what they have pushed on us. I have all manner of problems I believe are completely and totally caused by eating the wrong (yet totally doctor approved) way. It's a hot button for me.

Test it yourself. You've already discovered how bad sugars are for your body so they are out of the picture already. Have your cholesterol checked and start eating egg yolks, full fat anything you like in the way of whole foods and don't eat any grains, starches, sugars with them. Basically eat proteins you like and lots of above ground veggies (no corn, peas or the high sugar varieties) and have your cholesterol checked in 2 mos. See if there is a difference. The proof is in the pudding. That doctor promised me and I know it's true after seeing those blood tests. You can pretty much reverse that cholesterol to being great just eating the right foods and it's not the heart smart diet that does it. Besides, throwing a big whap of real butter on veggies or full fat salad dressing on a salad knowing it's good for you is so yummy.

187 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Fri May 22, 2009 5:37 pm

JeanJean

Alpha Hall of Fame
Alpha Hall of Fame
di wrote:I did go through the breaking out while I did the detox, and then my skin was amazing! But since I've added back things, the breakouts have started again, which makes me think that I must be reacting to certain things!

Any chance it's something almost hidden like salt? You might want to really go back and look at what you've been eating and see if you can find out what was introduced back into your diet. Maybe you can see some common factor that could be causing the skin problem.

Have you ever heard of Dr. Perricone? He's doctor that they occasionally have on PBS when raising money but he's a skin doctor who is really into diet. Most of what he says I believe (eat whole good low glycemic foods) but he gets into the ones that directly impact skin especially as it relates to aging but regardless, skin in general. I know his books are often in libraries so you might want to look him up and see if he mentions which ones might cause the zits etc. to see if you can spot something you may not have realized your body is seeing as toxic.

188 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Fri May 22, 2009 7:40 pm

TheDogHouse

Canine Good Citizen
Canine Good Citizen
Holy Crap! That's a mouth full of great information...can I copy it and send it to The Citizen?
A real eye opener, every single word. Some of it just jaw dropping.
What do you classify as sugar?
What do you say about potatoes?

http://www.itsallaboutfun.ca

189 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Fri May 22, 2009 7:42 pm

kysmom

Certified Dog Trainer
Certified Dog Trainer
LOL I know ... i read it twice ... Thanks Jean jean, I'm definitely going to be looking into all that!

When you say no starch ... does that mean EVER? Or can I have corn on the cob like once in a while (please, pretty please????)

190 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Fri May 22, 2009 8:03 pm

di

Pattison CET.
Pattison CET.
Jean - that information is awesome! I'm definitely looking up the glycemix index - I've actually been meaning to do it.

I have heard of Dr. Perricone, but haven't read his books. I was actually thinking of starting a journal of what I've been eating and any reactions so I can start to correlate it to the things I eat.

I found this website when I was looking for gluten free information. It's very similar to the way that Jean describes eating. They call it "primal" - essentially eating the way our ancestors did. Some of the stuff is a bit hokey, but I found it quite interesting!

Thanks for the info! Love it!

191 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Fri May 22, 2009 10:32 pm

GreenFireflyGirl

Omega Admin
Omega Admin
Wow, a LOT to digest in that post! (couldn't help myself....)

Funny about the soy, when they started promoting it for women's health as a natural alternative to estrogen therapy because of the phytoestrogens, I asked my doctor about it, as I was nursing at the time and going back to work I wanted to have something on hand for supplementing as I was already losing my milk. I asked him if the soy based formulas could endanger my son, as all those estrogens shouldn't be good for little boys while they are growing, right? My doctor actively told parents NOT to give soy to children EVER as they are still growing, and the estrogens WOULD hurt them.

I do like edamame, and miso, but I also know that soy is really hurting the planet too, thousands of acres of rainforest are cut down for soy, to feed us and the livestock we eat, so there's a double whammy too for eating soy, so I try to only eat it once in a while.

Also watch out for the decaf, some of it is very bad for you, and the planet because they pass it through chemicals to remove the caffeine, and you never know how they take out the caffeine unless you ALWAYS ask. There are some planet friendly decafs out there, but it's always better to eat/drink things in their least processed form. Caffeine in small doses (200mg)daily is also health promoting, it's when you go over that it could be a problem, so if you're not going to drink caffeinated coffee, just don't drink coffee at all. There are tasty alternatives that don't hurt you or the environment, like that made with chicory root so do your research...

192 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Sat May 23, 2009 2:59 am

JeanJean

Alpha Hall of Fame
Alpha Hall of Fame
Just took a look at that Primal Diet site and have to say it looks right on the money to me and what I have come to believe. What's interesting is all the people who have studied diets of Aboriginal people (all over the world since they are the best examples of recently changing their diets to our way and as a result suddenly are stricken with our illnesses), all the people who have really studied what helps various conditions, and places like the Mayo clinic have all come to virtually the same conclusions. As soon as you let the gov't sources in they get influenced by the agricultural and food mfg lobbies and bingo the garbage gets put back in the mix even though there is nothing to back it up but junk science. The last time they updated the Canada Food Guide (last year I think) they asked people what they liked to eat/buy and based their recommendations on that thinking they need to allow for what people want. Now how's that for making a guide allegedly for health?

As for what is sugar etc. basically the way I look at it is it includes all the foods that our bodies convert to or see as sugar. That is what the glycemic index measures basically and those rankings can vary depending on what is eaten with, how it's cooked, what variety is used. So there is a difference between a baked potato and a boiled red new potato. What your body does with it also depends on whether you ate it alone, with other carbs/sugars, or with protein.

To me, the idea is to know your foods and how to have a balance. So you know the values and you look at your plate. If you are me you class anything over about 40 as 'sugar'. So that breakfast of cereal (no sugar added) is sugar plus skim milk (sugar) and apple juice (sugar) and maybe some whole wheat toast (sugar) with butter (0 sugar, good fat), and I'm looking at almost pure sugar (as my body sees it) which for me stores as fat right now, makes for no energy and hungry again in no time and the fat from the butter just got stuck to my arteries. If I ate eggs (that wouldn't be me but someone else might), eggs would be no sugar, all protein, cheese (no sugar, some fat, some protein), sausage (no grain added variety means all protein some fat), apple juice (sugar) then I have a chance of processing that juice rather than it tanking me. If I skipped the juice, none of that fat would stick to my arteries and all my energy would come from the proteins and whatever fat cells my body has would be released for use.

For me, I now have a really sensitive body thank you low fat diet for all those years. Had I not eliminated fats and proteins from my diet for so long while concentrating on grains and such, I may not have the issues I have with sugars now but such is life and I learned too late. For others, they can eat some of that stuff and be fine because they didn't cut themselves off other normal foods. Then others have to watch because they lean so heavily on carbs. The trick is knowing your own body and how it reacts to foods and that takes paying attention, blood tests, and trial and error. Just like some people have trouble with acidic foods, you learn what works with your body.

So, for me I now know I have to watch everything as even one slip can set off a reaction that is not unlike an alcoholic as I get wild cravings and it takes me 3 days of withdrawal symptoms to get it out of me again. I also know that when I eat sugars my body is going to really hurt the next day and it may require pain killers. It's not like that for other people. I didn't even realize what the food was doing to me until I got off it and realized what I thought was normal wasn't at all but that I could actually feel really good. It's hard to explain until you go through it but you see here even how Di noticed how differently she feels since changing some things. Your body will tell you if you listen. Nature is very happy to tell you what it wants when you give it a chance.

Anyway, when it comes to corn, regard it as you would candy. It's all sugar, your body is just going to poop it out because it has zero value to your body other than for roughage and sugar. If you can give yourself treats on occasion, then consider corn a treat. Just never consider it a meal and know your body will take that sugar from it and do what your body does with sugars. That could be storing it as fat, feeding it to cysts and tumours, causing crystals in your blood that make your muscles and joints ache, making you hyper, or as they now know, cause the walls of your arteries to get rough and that holds the cholesterol to them. As long as you are aware, you decide when and how much of things like that you go for.

For someone like me to eat corn even once means my insulin will go nuts and store it as fat, my joints and muscles will ache the next day, I'll feel very sleepy and maybe cranky and for sure I will start craving sugars and starches again. Do I eat it? Yup, sometimes I do knowing full well what is going to happen. I am not always as smart as I would like to be especially when I love something like that (and for most of us all the foods we can't have are our favourites) and it's only around once a year. Temptation is a *itch sometimes. When I am on board though, it's no thanks, and I can regard it as poison to me without even worrying a second about it. So it's a head space that dictates how well I eat vs whether I know better or not.

Basically any veggie that is a seed or root is full of sugar. Leafy or stalk veggies aren't seeds so they have almost no sugar in them and are all nutrition and fiber. Fruits are sugar but some are better than others most notably the berries are the best, the banana are the most sugary. Any grain, whole or not (but whole is more roughage than processed) is starch and your body turns it into sugar. If you look at labels, anything ending in 'ose' is sugar and that includes fructose and lactose which is why I can't have skim milk. The less fat a dairy product has, the more sugar it has. Anything 'corn' is sugar which included corn meal, corn syrup, corn flour and it's in nearly every processed food made including meats. It doesn't matter if it's natural or not, added or naturally occurring, sugar is sugar as your body sees it.

The more you eat the more you want as your body will cause cravings and hunger to get more as it stores it away and doesn't use it properly. Reality is you can't over eat protein or fat or you will be sick. Imagine trying to eat a bunch of butter, no can do. Imagine eating cake and you can eat and eat and eat it when you body is into storage mode. Same with sweet fruit like grapes or cherries...you can eat buckets of them. It's not food (it's sugar) so your body will ask for more trying to get what it needs instead of making your stop.

These things were not such a big deal before but we've become so over loaded because of additives and processed foods and being taken off proteins and fats that we are eating a hundred times more sugars than our ancestors did. Now it's a problem for our bodies to handle because nature did not intend this. In moderation and combined with good solid food, no big deal. Our ancestors didn't have refrigerated trucks bringing in fruits all year round or supermarkets full of processed foods and they walked and worked a lot harder physically than we do so they didn't suffer the same food related illness we do.

Sorry I get going but I think it's such a shame so many of us are stuck with food related problems and so many in the medical community and gov't are not helping. So when it comes up I start chiming in with what I have been learning in hopes it helps someone. Heaven knows I had to be hit with a two by four so I would listen, and I still gets sucked in by just wanting something yummy, good for me or not but never will anyone fool me by telling me it's "healthy".

193 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Sat May 23, 2009 5:40 pm

di

Pattison CET.
Pattison CET.
Jean don't apologize - I love the info you have! Especially when you get going! :D

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum