You are not connected. Please login or register

Human (not dog) related detox

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 7 of 8]

151 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:08 am

wen

Alpha Hall of Fame
Alpha Hall of Fame
Don't forget about your environment. My daughter has allergies to almost everything..we found mold in our roof last summer, we didn't know how bad it was until the roofer went through the roof! Anyway, that area was beside my bed and above Rebeckah. I was extremely ill for years and when the roof was done, though I am still ill from my fibromyalgia, I am a lot better. So check for dust, mold, mildew. It gets in the smallest of places. like vents in the bathroom, you'd be surprised.

wen

152 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:04 pm

di

Pattison CET.
Pattison CET.
We actually had visible black mould in our bedroom (not good) because of moisture problems that apparently can't be fixed in our condo (many units have the same problem). I got rid of it a couple of weeks ago. But that's a great reminder wen!

So, I just booked an appointment with Dr. Turner - for June 23! Wow - I'm sure she's really busy after writing that book! I'm pretty excited to go, though, as I do think that I have hormone issues that I would like to address sooner rather than later!

http://www.holmesonhounds.com

153 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:56 pm

JeanJean

Alpha Hall of Fame
Alpha Hall of Fame
You are so lucky to be able to see a doctor like that. I am just waiting to get some time to read so I can get her book. I can tell you that when someone like that looks at supplements you get just what you need and start to understand why you do or don't need various ones. If I've learned anything, it's you don't want to use supplements of any kind unless you know you need them as you can send your body out of balance really quickly.

As for those aches you are having today, it might be because the onions soup was probably full of sugar (from the onions... they are full of sugar being root veggies and it's more prominent when they are cooked). Sugars are know to cause pain in muscles and joints.

Meanwhile, this is a really good time to monitor how you are feeling as you add foods back. Keep a note book or something with you so you can follow what you ate and how you are feeling both physically and mentally because minor things like being a bit confused or tired may link to what you ate. I find I can be feeling the effects anywhere from 20 minutes to a whole day later depending on the food. It was eye opening for me to really start paying attention and realizing what foods can do, good and bad.

Knowing for instance that you ate onion soup yesterday and ache today is something to pay attention to as it tells you what kinds of things your body isn't liking much and you can start to see links. If your body is anything like mine, it will ache the day after eating any
sugars (or things my body sees as sugar like starches of any kind, many high sugar fruits, etc.). You my be sensitive to those too or maybe it was too acidic for you. I know that stuff now from really paying attention to how I feel and can make my choices knowing what food is going to do to me. I also know that what some consider 'healthy' is poison in my book now and I know why so I can figure things out when I run into something new or tempting. For instance, for my body, full fat butter or cheese or whatever is fine. Give me skim milk, low fat foods (that are supposed to be high fat in real life) or grains and we are talking trouble because they are full of sugars. I now basically just shudder at the idea of some meals I used to love like pasta with salad and bread. I might as well eat cake for what that does to me. Same with yogurt, might as well have ice cream as it's actually better for me in a lot of ways because it can have less sugar/starch and more fat, but that is my body and everyone is different. I actually had to stop being vegitarian because of it.

I've only fasted once and that was just for a week (thanks to an allergic reaction to a multivitamin) and it does take a while to get your digestive system working again so don't be surprised if you do have some tummy trouble as you start eating again and take it slow no matter how tempting it is to just dig in.

154 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:10 pm

di

Pattison CET.
Pattison CET.
Jean - thanks for the awesome tips! You're so right, it could have been the sugar as well.

I've been so excited to start adding things back to see what I react to, but I had never thought of keeping a journal to note it - so thanks! I'm going to do that for sure, so I can look back at it at remember. It will also be helpful when I do go to the naturopath. I'm most curious about dairy, and I've heard that you should do cheese and yogurt on separate days as they can react differently with your body. But I am going to have plain yogurt only, and add fruit and stevia if I have to.

I was really thinking about what you had said about the issues you were having when I decided to make the appointment. If I'm feeling symptoms now (and have the weight around my belly which is a sure sign of hormone issues), then I would rather nip it in the bud now! That's one of the things I do love about living in Toronto - access to many things that aren't as easy in other places (and coming from a very small town, I know first hand!).

155 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:26 pm

JeanJean

Alpha Hall of Fame
Alpha Hall of Fame
Yes, having access to experts can really pay off and is nice to have. If you have belly weight you might want to check if it's changed at all since you started the detox. Although it can be a sign of estrogens at work, it can also be a sign of insulin going out of balance and that comes from eating sugars. Think of a beer belly. That is insulin going wonky from the grains (sugar) in beer. Distilled liquor drinkers don't get that same gut at all since the sugars are almost non-existant. So, if you have lost weight in the midsection it may well be from not eating sugars and your body now being able to use those stores of energy up. That's a really good clue to what you should/shouldn't be eating too. Having an estrogen imbalance (too much estrogen with not enough progesterone does it) isn't quite as quick to turn around so you wouldn't notice a huge difference probably with the detox if that is the problem.

Insulin was my first issue (seems I threw it off going low fat, all vegitarian). Just too many sugars in that diet. Anyway that initial problem has acted like the first domino and when I hit the age for perimenopause (which can start at 35) all the dominoes started to fall and now I have a real problem getting all my hormones/endocrine system working. Just shows I should have paid more attention to what I was eating a lot earlier. Live and learn and now I have a real problem to try and deal with instead of a minor one.

Edit to add: Another book you might want to read when it comes to what food does what to things like insulin is The Schwarzbein Principal by Dr. Diana Schwarzbein. You can find it in libraries. It's mostly about what she discovered about her diabetic patients and food but it really explains how things work and why what we are typically told is healthy is not. She promotes whole foods but eating a proper balance to keep things like insulin in check. The nice part is it's really easy to read and understand and then when you look at things like the glycemic index or other food recommendations you can weed out the crap (like the heart smart diet is crap as is the diabetic diet as is the Canada Food Guide but don't get me started on those politically motivated pieces of junk that just make people sicker). It will also help you understand whatever the doctor starts to tell you because I am betting it will all be quite new to you and different from what we are commonly told about many things.

156 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Tue May 05, 2009 2:19 pm

di

Pattison CET.
Pattison CET.
Thanks - I should find my nearest library (isn't it awful that I don't know where it is!) and check the book out!

Thought I'd give another update. So, I'm on day 5 of coming off the detox now. Coming off has almost been harder than staying on! Once I started eating again, it's hard to only eat small bits each day, while still sticking to liquids. But my belief is that if I get off it properly, then it will be easier to maintain the bad habits. So far, I've added back vegetables, fruit, protein powder (whey, but think I'm going to have to stick to other types of protein), healthy oils (olive, flax, hemp, etc), grains (quinoa, brown rice), and beans. Tomorrow I add back fish/chicken, and then I'm done!Woohoo!

I've had no alcohol for over 4 weeks. Haven't smoked in over 4 weeks. Haven't eaten grains or sugar for over 4 weeks. And I feel great! Now that I've been eating I have even more energy than I did before! I started running with the dogs yesterday - short bits to start, but we'll all work ourselves up (ok, I think Jake could run for hours, but maybe Diesel and I need to work our way up!).

Woohoo! drunk2

157 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Tue May 05, 2009 3:02 pm

Sharyl

Alpha Hall of Fame
Alpha Hall of Fame
That's awesome Di - congrats on finishing the detox & staying smoke free!

158 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Tue May 05, 2009 3:54 pm

Laurie

Mod
Mod
Way to go Di! I'm so proud of you for sticking it out. And especially not smoking at the same time! damasterz

159 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Tue May 05, 2009 4:15 pm

di

Pattison CET.
Pattison CET.
And the smoking part (so far) has been the easiest part! I think my willpower will be tested the first time I have a glass of wine....that's when I feel like smoking the most!

160 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Tue May 05, 2009 5:04 pm

Laurie

Mod
Mod
Then maybe put off that first glass of wine as long as possible? Alcohol also tends to make us a little more lax about what we eat too.

Maybe I missed it in some of your other posts, but what type of eating plan do you plan to follow long term? Or are you still sorting that out?

161 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Tue May 05, 2009 5:47 pm

di

Pattison CET.
Pattison CET.
I'm basically going with fruits, vegetables, gluten free whole grains, good oils, fish, chicken, nuts, minimize red meat - trying to stay healthy as much as possible. My goal is to keep off sugar (but I will have the odd glass of wine!), caffeine as much as possible. Dairy is a question for me, and I will see how I feel when I add it back, but if I do, it will probably be limited to plain yogurt and occasional cheese.

I'm going to go to the Naturopath that wrote The Hormone Diet, and this is pretty much the diet she recommends. Although she recommends that it is followed 80% of the time - which is essentially follow it 6 days a week and have a cheat day!

It's funny - today at lunch, I was never so excited about a salad!

162 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Tue May 05, 2009 6:19 pm

Laurie

Mod
Mod
I found once I started eating really well, I didn't enjoy my old fare when I did indulge. I aim to follow the 80-20 rule as well. I don't look at the 20 as a cheat, just something I build in if I'm inclined. It helps not to get in the perfection-fail mode. If I have ice cream or a hamburger today, I just eat well the rest of the week, rather than feel guilty and use it as an excuse to continue on (my old pattern).

It's quite exciting once you get into the swing of it.

163 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Tue May 05, 2009 7:59 pm

di

Pattison CET.
Pattison CET.
Thanks for the encouragement Laurie! I can't wait until I get into the swing of it! Will probably take a few weeks - even the meal planning right now is awkward, and I'm spending a lot of time at night cooking and preparing lunch for the next day. Or maybe that's normal?? scratchhead

Cooking's not really my thing, but I'm enjoying be creative with healthy stuff!

164 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Tue May 05, 2009 8:33 pm

JeanJean

Alpha Hall of Fame
Alpha Hall of Fame
What you may also find (especially not smoking now) is as you try food s you thought you loved and really taste them, they fall flat, are too sweet, or too salty. I have had that happen and I swear they just don't make brownies the way they used to because every time I think I want one of those things it tastes awful, even the two bite variety which I used to really like. I also can't take salt anymore and only do caffeine when I need a really big boost because it makes me a little crazy now.

So you may find it really easy to avoid old things. When I've done similar I found it better to actually have a bite of what I want and pay attention to the taste. More times than not, I never want it again and it goes off the list of things I think I crave.

165 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Wed May 06, 2009 6:56 am

GreenFireflyGirl

Omega Admin
Omega Admin
di wrote:But my belief is that if I get off it properly, then it will be easier to maintain the bad habits.

You mean the good habits though, right? And you WILL be eating barbeque at my place in the summer too, just will make a veggie pizzaque for you or something. Mmmmm, grilled eggplant and zucchini....

166 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Wed May 06, 2009 7:13 am

di

Pattison CET.
Pattison CET.
Of course I will! And I'm not vegetarian - just haven't added meat or fish back. I will today though...salmon for dinner!

167 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Sat May 09, 2009 7:31 pm

Laurie

Mod
Mod
Hey Di- Just wondering how you were making out now that you've added the meat back in?

168 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Sat May 09, 2009 8:02 pm

di

Pattison CET.
Pattison CET.
Adding meat back was no problem! The problem I did have, though, was with dairy. YIKES!! I had yogurt (plain) with berries for a snack yesterday afternoon. Within an hour or so, I had really bad heartburn, hives on my chest, and I had zits today. My stomach was on fire last night until I went to bed, and again today. And my nose was stuffed up and throat raspy. This is not a good sign!

So no wheat and no dairy. Aye carumba!

But everything else has been fine so far - except small reaction to whey protein (which is dairy based anyway).

But we've been eating really great, and I think I'm still losing weight! Today I got my hair cut, and he would actually cut it short cause my face is thinner!

169 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Sat May 09, 2009 8:42 pm

Laurie

Mod
Mod
No Dairy Queen for you this summer, missy. Yikes! That's a bad reaction.

How do you feel about beef liver? I've got enough to last till, um, the cows come home. I got a smaller one, about 7 pounds, and it still filled a plastic grocery bag.

I'm not a big fan of it myself, so am always looking for recipes to kill the taste. lol.

The young guy at the butcher place also told me how to prepare beef tongue if I was ever inclined. He said it's pretty good, so might give that a whirl too.

Maybe T can boil one up and then throw it on the grill for you this summer?

170 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Sat May 09, 2009 9:01 pm

GreenFireflyGirl

Omega Admin
Omega Admin
Laurie wrote:Maybe T can boil one up and then throw it on the grill for you this summer?

Um,...no. I DO have a source for gluten free meats if you need an organic hotdog on a wheatfree bun, it CAN be done. But probably easier to go veggie, than find the wheat free meats. Seriously, pizzaque is really good, I can make a wheat free dough, use a soy based cheese, and you can throw on whatever toppings you want. No menu planned yet for the bbq (was thinking jerk chicken though...), and have to replace the burners in it before the day, as now I only have one working burner! Rotisserie anyone?

171 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Sat May 09, 2009 9:05 pm

di

Pattison CET.
Pattison CET.
Well, ice cream has been my downfall, so I guess now I've solved for that! crazyloco No wonder it felt like a hangover the next morning! I wondered what the heck was going on.....

I've never cooked liver, but saw a recipe in my healthy cooking book for liver and onions. Not sure if I'll be grilling tongue any time soon - when I served it to my guys, I had to use tongs to put it in their dishes! :shock: Can't see me eating it if I can't touch it!

I'm making gluten free pizza crust tomorrow and using goat cheese (which should be ok). I can't bring myself to touch the soy cheese, and my nutritionist said to stay away from processed soy as much as possible.

I have burgers and gluten free hamburger buns too! And right now I'm baking gluten free/sugar free (hopefully not taste free) brownies that use almond butter as the base - no flour! Thought I'd treat myself!

172 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Sat May 09, 2009 9:07 pm

wen

Alpha Hall of Fame
Alpha Hall of Fame
Ice cream always makes me "bloat" but it's not an allergic reaction or anything, just fat!! lol

173 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Sun May 10, 2009 9:33 am

di

Pattison CET.
Pattison CET.
If anyone wants to try "healthy" brownies - you must try these! They are gluten free and dairy free (as long as the chocolate chips are dairy free), as well as sugar free. And they are amazing! Just sweet enough to satisfy a craving, but don't make me crazy to keep eating.

The only thing is that they do take quite a bit of almond butter (which can be expensive - luckily I got it on sale!), but you could substitute for any natural nut butter.

I've tried the gluten free pre-mixed brownies, but they taste like they have a lot of sugar in them. So these are a great alternative!

I thought I'd post the recipe if anyone wanted to try them. Plus the site that they are on has lots of healthy recipes.

[Only admins are allowed to see this link]

174 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Sun May 10, 2009 4:40 pm

JeanJean

Alpha Hall of Fame
Alpha Hall of Fame
If you are looking for gluten and sugar free recipes you might want to check the low carb forums or google low carb recipes. I know the Atkins followers have a lot of recipes for things since they avoid grains and sugars as part of the program. One I've never tried but seems popular is called Revolution Rolls which they use to replace breads. There are also all sorts of 'cookies' and other things they've figured out how to make. You name it, from baked goods to things like pasta, they have figured out how to do it without the starch.

175 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Sun May 10, 2009 5:15 pm

di

Pattison CET.
Pattison CET.
I'll do that. Thanks!

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum