Human (not dog) related detox

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 8]

1 Human (not dog) related detox on Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:33 pm

di

Pattison CET.
Pattison CET.
Well, the category says "anything goes!" :lol:

After being sick for a week, I started a detox on Friday (the plan was to start on Sunday, but the illness put a crimp in that plan). I know it goes up and down, but I can't believe how much energy I have today. I came home tonight, and for the first time in months didn't want to just plop down on the couch. And I was in a really good mood (which also hasn't been happening too much lately either! Embarassed ).

I did a detox last January and felt really great, but this one is more restrictive than the last one - no eating, only green drinks, juice (from the juicer) and soup. It's not been easy, but I'm starting to see the results! Plus, I quit smoking cold turkey (I know, bad habit... ❤ ).

So, someone remind me of how great I feel by treating myself right! I want to keep this going! :lol:

(Just sharing, as you guys are obviously my support group! :D )

http://www.holmesonhounds.com

2 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:57 pm

LeeLee

Alpha Admin
Alpha Admin
omg I admire you, Di! That's one thing that I need to do desperately is detox, but want to wait until the warmer weather, since the warmer it is outside, the less I want to eat and the more I can tolerate the fast lol! Make sure the first solid food you eat is something incredibly nutritious, like a baked yam, or oranges, etc... Something that will make your body go 'yummmy' LOL! Then go for proteins - a nice piece of salmon w/lemon, etc.

And AWESOME about the smoking! Remember - the first 3 weeks or so are the hardest, but once you get over that first hump it'll be easy... As you know I quit last January 2008 - hubby and I were pack-a-day smokers. Hubby had quit before I did - can't imagine how hard it was for him being around my smokey-ness lol.. I am soooo glad that I did - the money that we've saved.. And the smell - I know it's horribly vain of me, but it was the stale cigarette smoke that I didn't want to reek of anymore that helped motivate me to quit, not the potential emphysema and cancer lol.. I used to have trouble breathing - especially at night trying to sleep, I'd have to strain to get a 'full' breath - that's gone since I quit and can finally breathe!.. Your body will love you for it - congrats, hun!

3 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:03 pm

di

Pattison CET.
Pattison CET.
Thanks! You know, I don't even miss the smoking, even though Jay still smokes. I felt so awful last week, I couldn't smoke anyway, so that might have been the best way to quit!

I can't eat for another 2 1/2 weeks - so I have plenty of time to plan the meal! Plus, you add food back over a few days - which was the mistake I made last time - went back too fast. But I love your ideas!

4 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:10 pm

Laurie

Mod
Mod
Way to go Di!

When did you quit smoking? I remember "one time" when I quit, I got horribly sick for about 2 weeks while it worked its way out. Nasty business, lots of loose coughing. 'nuf said.

Glad you're feeling better. It's been a long haul.

One of the tricks I used when I changed eating habits (to counter my innate laziness) was to buy large platters of precut veggies. I pulled it out on movie nights instead of buying junk food. Felt pretty pleased with myself the next morning, lol.

With walking your dogs and quitting smoking, you'll likely feel loads better. Keep it up!

5 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:14 pm

GreenFireflyGirl

Omega Admin
Omega Admin
Hey Di, because you are on such a strict diet right now, you should consider doing an elimination diet while you're at it. When you do add food in, add them really slowly, and in their purest (unprocessed) forms. You'd be surprised how many people have food intolerances to things like wheat and milk proteins.

I gave up sugar last year from Christmas to Valentine's Day, this year I gave it up for Lent. (a long time, but it helps with my sugar cravings) Of course the chocolate Easter Bunnies don't help, but I know that I can stop now, which I didn't think I would ever be able to do. I plan on trying to only eat the less refined sugars and carbs, and hope my gut likes it better. Next up is an elimination diet, because I didn't get all my problems solved.

Good for you on the quitting smoking. That's one thing that I try to help my patients with, along with losing weight. I quit when I was in my early twenties, didn't want wrinkles, lol. The other health issues were less pressing for me, but yeah, the stink is really something. We actually have a sign up asking people not to smoke for one hour before entering the office, it really sticks around that much. Best thing to do, is avoid all triggers until the first two weeks are over, if that's coffee and a newspaper in the morning, have juice and read a magazine instead. You can juggle things up and make it easier, and go for a walk at lunch instead of having a smoke break. You WILL feel better, and you WILL live longer, and you WILL look younger doing it!!!

6 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:21 pm

di

Pattison CET.
Pattison CET.
Thanks guys! Yes, my lungs are clearing now - but not sure if that's from the cold or the smoking! I think that this is an easier way to quit - there's no caffeine and no alcohol - 2 pretty big triggers. You know, already my skin and hair look better from quitting!

And 2 - I did the elimination diet last year, and found that I have a wheat intolerance, which is something that I have been trying to cut out since January. The few times that I did have it, I could feel it almost instantly!

You guys are awesome...thanks!

7 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:25 pm

di

Pattison CET.
Pattison CET.
Oh, one other "side effect".....I can't stop cleaning! I cleaned the house yesterday (puttered around all day, not knowing what to do with myself), cleaned my desk as soon as I got to work, and then a couple of hours later, started to clean my purse!

Clean the inside, clean the outside I guess! :mrgreen:

8 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:32 pm

Sharyl

Alpha Hall of Fame
Alpha Hall of Fame
That's so great Di! I've seen many people quit smoking and know how hard it can be. You must be feeling so great! And way to go on the detox - I have NO restraint when it comes to food and don't think I would last a week!

9 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:33 pm

GreenFireflyGirl

Omega Admin
Omega Admin
Pregnant? It would explain the quitting smoking, the healthy eating, the cleaning? Maybe you are preparing for one if not there yet?

10 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:39 pm

di

Pattison CET.
Pattison CET.
Ha! Oh please - no kids for me. The furry kids are the only kids we're having. Look at my age - no time for kids now! :mrgreen:

(Although I do have a friend having her first in a month which I think is amazing....it's just a personal choice!)

11 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:50 pm

Scout6

Mod
Mod
EESH! Well on that note, I am going to a homeopath on Friday for the first time.

BUT way to go on the cold turkey no smoking. My co-worker is trying right now and it's rough going. I've never tried a detox. GREEN drinks don't sound very yummy.

I'll be 37 this summer and my window of opportunity for baby is closing partly because of physiology but partly because I don't want to be changing diapers in my 40s all that badly. I think I'm giving this until I'm 38.

I worked with kids for ever and even fostered and infant and I LOVED every minute. Honestly, I'd make a super mom. Not to gloat, but it really is a natural fit for me and I love development and little people and how they just sort come into this world with their own ideas and personality and I had the opportunity to help them become the best them ...

But, I am also beginning to see life without kids now because of my age. I went through a lot in my 20s and didn't do a lot of the crazy things people normally do so now I want to do them and so I'm torn. I think I'll be happy either way ... I think ...

Anyway, Deprovera, which I thought for 2.5 years was a miracle drug ended up being a nightmare drug if any of you are using it. Now I'm all out of whack and my body is so mixed up and so I'm really hoping that the homeopath will have some answers for me that regular medicine has not for the last ohhhhhhhhhhhh 25 years.

12 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:12 pm

di

Pattison CET.
Pattison CET.
I've been to a naturopath and a holistic nutritionist (who also did homeopathy) and some of the things she gave me to do worked wonders. Simple things! I was having cramps, and I now take oils (flax oil, hemp oil, fish oil, etc) and that has really helped. I also take magnesium in water, and that really helps me sleep. Hopefully the homeopath will help you put your body back in balance!

The green drinks aren't so bad...they actually have different flavours now!

13 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:29 pm

Sharyl

Alpha Hall of Fame
Alpha Hall of Fame
Wow Scout - how did you last so long on Depo?!?! I was on it for about 9 months and was a hormonal wreck! I eventually went to a new doctor that told me, "I don't like cats, and I wouldn't give Depo to a cat." It was a pretty convincing statement to have me switch methods! I'd say it took me about 6 months to level off again - good luck with the homeopath I've heard they work wonders.

14 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:49 pm

Scout6

Mod
Mod
OH shi*t. Well, it's been since December I took the last shot and my new doc out here, her eyes bulged when she heard I'd been on it for 2.5 years every 10 weeks. She's thinking permanent bone loss. Then I did on-line research and learned the whole sordid history of them testing this drug on women in developing nations :evil: That enraged me.

And yet, for the longest time it gave me my life back so I was torn about giving it up. I get so darned sick. Flat out for a week every three weeks sick. I was missing out on a lot of life and couldn't get a career started.

Ya, I think my body is in chaos. I was tearing up over TV last night and doubled over at work today and I got up at midnight to shovel down Chinese food ... E GAD! Part of me just wants to end the whole fertility circus now so I don't have to worry about it any longer.

15 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:44 pm

Sharyl

Alpha Hall of Fame
Alpha Hall of Fame
Well good news bad news. Good - there are alot of other methods out there; bad - not many of them have been around for decades... I happened to be working the audit shift at a hotel at the same time and people still refer to 'audit Sharyl' as pretty darn scary (I wasn't emotional but I was the grouchiest person you ever met). I haven't experienced any ticking clocks but I'm not 100% set on shutting down the fertility clinic quite yet. Wish there was a on/off switch!

16 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:57 am

LynneB

Mod
Mod
Di, that's great!! Good for you about the smoking, you can do it!!

Sharyl, Shannon - I am so happy that I am not the only one that went through that kind of stuff. I swear that if they put someone on depo, they should put them on prozac at the same time, I was SO MOODY on that stuff, and I'm even worse, cause I was on it for 4 years. I started hearing about the bone loss stuff, and the next month I was off it. It took 2 months for my cycle to come back, and that evened out right away. But, I started back on the pill pretty quickly too. For any of you that were following another thread where I was talking about the breast cancer in my family, it's made me think about going off the pill too. I'm not sure if hubbie and I will have kids or not, but I'm not at the point yet where I want to eliminate all my chances of it, but once we do make that decision, a permanent solution will be made vs. being on the pill.

Now as for elimination diets and cleanses, I've never done one, but it's something I'd like to talk to a nutritionist or natureopath about. My husband read about this stuff called colonex, so it's a colon cleanse, and you essentially drink a lot of water, increase your fiber intake, and drink some special tea at night. Personally I think you could do the same thing on your own with fibre, supplements and such without having to buy the prepackaged stuff, and I'm still not completely convinced that it actually works, but I guess if it makes you feel better, then great. But I have been googling it to see if I can find any bad reviews, just in case. Wouldn't want him to waste a bunch of $$ on something that doesn't even work, or makes you sick. Either way it's not FDA approved, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's bad. It's weird though, they even have one for kids to do a cleanse, that may be overdoing it just a little IMO.

17 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:08 am

Sharyl

Alpha Hall of Fame
Alpha Hall of Fame
Woohoo! One more day down of Di not smoking! cheeers

18 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:58 pm

di

Pattison CET.
Pattison CET.
Ha - one more day of not smoking OR eating!! :mrgreen:

Wow - I've never heard of the side effects of Depo, but so glad I never went down that path. Sounds like it should come with more of a warning than it does!

There's lots of varying opinions on detoxing. Naturopaths will recommend detoxing (at least mine did), but most traditional doctors will say that it doesn't do anything. I just go by how I feel, and what I'm aiming to do is kick start some healthy habits going forward. How can that be bad? :mrgreen:

Ha - after hearing about my energy levels, people at work are now wanting to try it. And I'm only on Day 5! :mrgreen:

19 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:04 pm

Scout6

Mod
Mod
HA! Sharyl, I have to laugh at your little smiley guys. cheering Di on for one more day NOT smoking but subliminally suggesting she should go drink instead. Wink

20 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:53 pm

Laurie

Mod
Mod
Ha Shannon. Di- you'll have to watch your liquids beer or you'll be going from one detox straight to another! :P

21 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:58 pm

di

Pattison CET.
Pattison CET.
Ha! I didn't even get that one! Yes, I do miss my glass of wine, but I'm sure I'll be able to indulge once the detox is over. Bloody wheat intolerance means no more beer! Yikes!

22 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:09 pm

mistqueen

Mod
Mod
di wrote:Ha! Oh please - no kids for me. The furry kids are the only kids we're having. Look at my age - no time for kids now! :mrgreen:

(Although I do have a friend having her first in a month which I think is amazing....it's just a personal choice!)

I'm 39 DI and I decided at 26 not to have children and got fixed due to health issues in my birth family, YES I was adopted, Yes I have found my birth family. :) I have learned not to get offended when people tell me I should adopt. I now calmly say I have made my decision long about about my path and I am happy with my life. I don't feel I need a child to make it whole when it is whole already. I don't know why some people in society think there is something wrong with a person if they chose not to have children.

I like my furry kids my dogs, I work all day with special needs high school students for a living.

I have been doing a detox for yeast in my system that has wreaked havoc. I have an ultrasound this Friday for my abdomen.

Way to go DI on your Detox , I'm cheering for you!

23 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:26 pm

JeanJean

Alpha Hall of Fame
Alpha Hall of Fame
If it helps I have some experience here since I too decided long ago there would be no kids. For those of us who have chosen this it seems the best way to explain it to people is a simple "I chose to go child free". Thats seems to make it clear without a lot of explainations or the more negative conotation some people have when they hear "childless".

As for detoxing, I've never done an actual detox. Never even had one recommended even by a holistic or homeopathic or the other doctors I've seen. I can tell you that when one of them pulled me off all sugars, any form, it was like coming off heroin and very interesting to find what kind of toxicity can be in us just from that one thing. Makes you wonder what we would actually feel like if we did just eat pure goodness all the time.

24 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:33 pm

Sharyl

Alpha Hall of Fame
Alpha Hall of Fame
hahaha - I was looking for a 'high five' emoticon and that was the closest one to it! never thought about it - its ok, I'll have the beer for you Wink

25 Re: Human (not dog) related detox on Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:34 pm

Pete

Canine Good Citizen
Canine Good Citizen
Di, you have celiac disease? My twin sister found out last summer that she has it.

She misses her beer, too.. beer She just drink's more martini's!! :drunken: Lush..... :lol:

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 8]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum